2011 Hierarchy Revamp
The 2011 Hierarchy Revamp was a week-long discussion between various members of OCESS on how to revamp thehierarchy in place from the 2010 Proposal to Change the Hierarchy, and make it adaptable to the loss of a large section of club, and to sort out bugs from the previous hierarchy change. In late May 2011, everyone in the Spacesim Office who was not willing to work on hierarchy was ordered out for the duration of the lunch hour during which Samuel Baltz, Arrian Amir-Rafiei, Jane Macleod, and Euan Wheaton drafted a new Spacesim hierarchy. The hierarchy was brought up at the meeting of that week, and was promptly passed after some bugs with it were voted upon.
The proposal would have the hierarchy arranged under the following rank categories:
1. Teacher Advisor
3. Deputy Commander
Explanation of the Ranks
1. The Teacher Advisor position will remain unchanged. This person has absolute power and veto over everything.
2. Commander: These two will check each others' power to ensure that no one person will be making decisions alone. They do not have complete authority over any one area of the club; rather, they are labelled "Mission" and "Education" as job descriptions. Commander positions will preferentially go to grade twelves, and the holders are executives.
3. Deputy Commander: Deputy commander positions will preferentially go to grade elevens or twelves, and the holders are executives.
4. Directors: These positions will preferentially go to grade elevens or grade tens, and the holders are executives.
Explanation of the Roles
Mission Commander: the same as in the 2009-10 Hierarchy; this person will serve as Habitat Commander on the mission and will be in charge of determining everything that will happen on the mission.
Education Commander: this person mainly does training for, schedules, and is in charge of EEPs and Planetariums.
Deputy Mission Commander: the same as Subcommander in the current hierarchy; they will serve as Mission-Specific Lt. Cmdr. This person is basically a general aide to the Mission Commander.
Deputy Education Commander: A combination of the previous years positions of External Affairs Commander and EEPs Subcommander. They will know the EEPs and planetarium procedures inside and out, will go to all of the EEPs with the Education Commander, and will be ready in case the Education Commander is deathly ill and cannot make it to a scheduled EEPs. Ideally they will also be able to do Planetariums. They are also in charge of publicity, however they will partially share the duties with the club heads.
Director of Web and Archives: Webmaster for short, this is the same as the current position in the hierarchy. This person is in charge of all of Spacesim's ancient documents, and in charge of maintaining and adding to the website. The Wikimaster answers directly to the Webmaster.
Director of Storage: This position is a unification of the Quartermaster and Office Director positions. This member will be in charge of both the office and the storage module, and will ideally know where to find almost anything in either of them.
Director of Training: This position is a formalized position, unlike how it previously existed. This member is in charge of understanding all the orbit software, and will be in charge of training members, as well as scheduling training sessions.
Director of Procedures: This position is a new position created to help members of the club know procedures better. This member is in charge of knowing the procedures inside and out as well as making sure that all members understand the major procedures. This member will also make sure that alpha procedures are understood and will play a major role in club safety.
The reaction to this proposal was overwhelmingly positive, with the following concerns raised:
- Some believed that Director of Training and Procedures was to large of a role. A vote was taken at the meeting before the hierarchy was split and was voted to be split into two roles.